Thursday 25 July 2013

Day 7- the last day


Having had a somewhat rest from museum-ing of late, on the last day  I threw myself into it with renewed vigour.

The first one on the list was the National History Museum. The museum is spread out on three floors ; the first about birds with lots of stuffed birds glaring at you like they want to peck your eyes out, but fear not it gets scarier.

On the second floor we (and here I mean the royal we, which by the way have you heard the news about the royal baby? No? What have been living under a rock? The half blood prince, he lives! but anyway let's get off from our tangent and get back to the museum, now where were we?.....ah yes the second floor) learnt all about fishes. Big ones, small ones, endangered ones, scary ones and as you pass into the next room there's a lovely video all about sharks. Did you know for example that Sharks have a row of fifteen spare teeth for every razor sharp tooth in their mouth and some sharks go through 200 teeth in their lifetime. So fear not if a shark loses a tooth it will grow another, sometimes in under 24 hours.
Somehow this piece of information doesn't make sharks any less terrifying to me.

The top floor was about flowers, finally something that won't scare the living day lights out of me, like the plastic fish dangling suspiciously from the ceiling on the floor below. Alas the flowers were not going to be my friends in the 'golden afternoon' (although it was morning) as I was going to learn all about the poisonous properties of the deadly plants. I already knew that holly and ivy were sneaky so and soes but lily of the valley and snowdrops? Well didn't I tell you that gardens were evil.

The second sojourn of the morning took me to the archaeological museum where I was privy to learn about all the old churches in and around Dubrovnik as well as looking at the some of the old stonework that was salvaged.

Going around museums is thirsty work so I ventured to look for a spot of respite which I found in the form  of a cliff side bar. According to the TimeOut website where I had done a bit of research before coming. The cliff side bar though picturesque is popular with nudists. Uh oh.

Thankfully there was not a nudist in sight so I could sit reading my book in peace without getting an eyeful.  With a hot chocolate and cherry ice cream so ends my final day in Dubrovnik, in the morning: home time.



No comments:

Post a Comment