Sunday 21 July 2013

Day 3 -where the bus disagrees with me


On the third day the parentals were going to the harbour to catch a ferry so I got the bus with them and waved them off before catching the bus back. Simple right?

Wrong, as readers of this blog will probably know by now, nothing I do is ever 'simple'. I was shown where the bus stop was and knew which bus to get -so far so good- I had my Dubrovnik card at the ready which as I have previously mentioned allows me free bus travel for up to 20 trips (well I didn't mention the last part before but now you know- why aren't I a font of knowledge). So there I was poised and ready for action and then the bus drives straight past me. Fantastic. But it's ok I can get the next one…apparently not as the second bus full to capacity goes hurtling by.

Here I am, sitting at the bus stop, it's sweltering hot and by this time getting a bit fed up. Cue random irate Croatian woman shouting 'il lipo' at me, not going to lie this did slightly freak me out and I couldn't remember the phrase for 'I don't speak Croatian' but no matter because here comes the bus. It turns out that all she wanted was to borrow a pen. For future reference the phrase I was looking for is " ne govorium hrvatski."

Today was a day of churches, St. Blaise's being the most ornate as he was the patron saint of Dubrovnik. However also on the list were St. Saviour's but I was the only one in there having a gander so that wasn't awkward at all and another near the city wall but I can't remember the name of it. This church is one of the few buildings in the city and survived the 1667 earthquake and is still standing today,you can therefore imagine my horror to find that it is being used as an art gallery. An art gallery in one of the few remaining original buildings? Are you insane!!!



So there we have it ladies and gents at the end of day three I am starting to look rather brown, have heat rash and blisters on my feet. Fantabbydozy. On the plus side I found some spots where I can get wifi yay I don't feel so out of sync with the world anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment