Tuesday 23 July 2013

Day fi-a-a-a staying alive staying alive

Not really sure why I did that. The fifth day of my jollies brought its own perils in the form of cramps, so I was forced to lay off my gung-ho attitude towards sightseeing and lay low for a while.

This would have worked as the Croatian café culture (my favourite kind) meant that they would happily while away the hours over a cup of coffee. Yet I am forgetting that I was in the most touristy populated part of Dubrovnik, if not the whole country and  the notion of 'bums on seats' is obviously more important than that of a 'happy camper.' Therefore after a few hours of sitting in the harbour café/restaurant that I shall not name I was rudely told that I was being moved because a large group were coming and they needed the table where I was sat. Obviously using the other twenty or so empty tables in the establishment was against the question. Feeling affronted I left.

My faith in humanity was restored however when I was let into the Franciscan monastery cloisters and pharmacy museum 'fo free' - so much for the no sight-seeing plan.




The evening repast was taken in the shadow of the cathedral where I was seated next to a Russian woman.  As if proving  my previous point that there is a perception that all twenty somethings' do with their time is party (see 'things start to get awkward' )  the girl was having a discussion with the waiter about the very same subject, when asked if she went out 'partying' although I think the cool kids term the phrase 'clubbing' or 'going out' the girl replied and I quote " I don't have time. I'm 24, I want to get married and have kids."

Excuse me whilst I choke on my piece of bread and olive oil.  Clearly the waiter was as shocked as I was by this statement as he lamely replied that he was 27 and had done neither of these things.  If anyone else is confused by what I over heard I would not blame you, it's like saying 'sorry I don't have time to do this mundane thing that is apparently fun because I have to go and settle down and start a family.'  Sorry what? I know your body clock is ticking and all that but you are only 24 love, what's the rush?

By  these standards it would seem that I only have a year and half left, quick find the nearest eligible bachelor we're going to get eloped

No comments:

Post a Comment