Saturday 20 July 2013

Day 1- Things start to get awkward


The Croatian/Dubrovnik adventure has officially begun as we were all herded onto a bus and then plane like sheep, well if sheep had suitcases. The journey to the Dubrovnik airport was, thankfully, uneventful. So far so good. Yet things were about to get interesting. We were supposed to be met at the airport , my parents by the weird walking/adventure trek thing they were going on and someone was supposed to come and take me to where I would be staying. However after a few minutes of failing to find our names on people's placards I started to panic.what if they forgot about me? Will I have to make my own way there? Where is it I'm going to anyway? Yet before I could have full on panic attack our guide arrived.

The otherwise nearly bald man had a rather impressive beard and was wearing what I can only describe as swimming goggles but were in fact sunglassesbut that didn't make the trip any less awkward. We dropped the parentals off in….some city I can't remember the name of and carried on with our journey (cue the awkward silence) before  I was dropped off outside the Hilton…..garage. Luckily to be met by the owner of the house who showed me where it was.

There is a perception that all that twenty-somethings do is drink and party and drink some more and party harder, at least from what I have gathered but  beardy man was clearly quite shocked  when I revealed that I had come for the museums and sightseeing and my answer killed any conversation.

Having finally arrived at my destination I unpacked quickly (not living out of the suitcase like I normally do. What's wrong with me?) before setting out to begin a new adventure.

First on my list was a trip to the tourist information centre to collect my '7 day Dubrovnik Card' which allows me free entry to some museums, discount in some shops and restaurants and even a free bus pass. You would think that having had purchased  the card online would make the collection quick and easy but alas this was not the case as the lady behind the desk kept shouting that I needed a voucher. Although it sounded more like 'wowcher' - like the advert.

I eventually got my card and wanted to activate it immediately.

The museum on today's itinerary was the Home of Marin Drzic, Croatia's most famous playwright. I had high hopes for this small museum but it didn't really deliver as everything was in Croatian, I later learned that I could have got an audio tour….fantastic oh well at least I got in free (with the card that is). There was an interactive board near the front of the museum which I thought might help me but I couldn't work out how to change the language so was forced to read it on the same language setting as the previous users…which was French, Je ne comprende pas.

After a rather unsatisfying trip to the museum I explored the narrow streets of the old town locating many of the shops and restaurants that I had looked up through doing research before I came here. But soon the sweltering sun got too much and I just had to get myself an ice cream, it's a hard knock life.

 My last destination for the day before going back to get changed before going out for dinner was to go to the church of St. ignatius the youngest of the Peverell brothers…..just kidding, St. Ignatius is the patron saint of something or another and he has a rather nice church.


No comments:

Post a Comment