Friday 27 June 2014

The marsh and the mallow



Over my past few blog posts I have been investigating the world of experimental ‘healthy’ baking such as substituting traditional ingredients or using superfoods like chia seeds. Now however for something totally different as I set out to make vanilla marshmallows. For this recipe you will need:

250g sugar
400g water
1 sachet of gelatine or 4 gelatine leaves
A few drops of vanilla extract/essence (or food essence of your choice)
3 egg whites
Icing sugar for dusting
Edible gold glitter (optional)

Lightly grease a baking tray with sunflower oil or equivalent non-flavoursome fat and dust with icing sugar. 

Place your sachet of gelatine (or leaves) in 150g of water and leave to dissolve or soften in the case of the leaves.


Meanwhile add the rest of the water and sugar in a thick based saucepan and boil to 121°c (the threading stage) this will take approximately 8-10 minutes. I have used brown sugar for mine hence why it looks so dark.

it's so swirly and pretty
 Take off the heat and combine the gelatine stirring continuously. 

Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.


Whilst still whisking pour in the sugar/gelatine syrup down the side of the bowl (this took to many hands to do so I was not able to include any pictures). This is the stage where you should add any food essence and/or food colouring. As I have used brown sugar my marshmallow mixture has a light caramel tint and it is for that reason that I chose to add a bit of vanilla. Transfer to your greased tray and dust with more icing sugar

and for an added dash of pizazz a light sprinkling of glitter.



 Leave to set in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.

Don't you just love it when things go wrong?  It would appear that the syrup component of this mixture has somehow separated itself from the fluffy egg white so upon turning out the tray I was left with two different layers. Quite literally: marsh and mallow.


So yeah that looks quite hideous and gross, it tastes nice though. Upon reflection I  would halve the amount of syrup made. 125g of sugar and water. I'm not sure what I'm going to with this not quite marshmallow stuff that's in my fridge. Oh dear this is like the time when I tried to make gummy bears 

Update: I seperated the sugary syrup layer from the mallow...or maybe it was the marsh...and used it in a milkshake.



No comments:

Post a Comment