Friday 6 May 2016

Summer Of Matcha: Matcha Ginger Zinger

I'm taking part in EatCleanTea's 'Summer Of Matcha' challenge to concoct a refreshing summery drink that isn't full of additives, sweeteners and stuff that is generally bad for you.  However true to form things started to go a bit pear shaped.....and not just because I was using a pear.


My recipe is based on the Matcha and Ginger  variety so I started things off by brainstorming flavours combinations for my juice and finally decided on  ginger (from the matcha) + lemon + carrot.  plus extra stuff but more on that later.

Ginger and lemon are both sialagogues meaning that they increase the flow of saliva and other gastric juices i.e. are good for digestion. These ingredients with the added goodness of the carrot make the juice good for cleansing plus its also a diuretic so go flush those toxins away.

This recipe took some trial an error to get it right; I mean first I put in too much lemon juice and it was too lemony so I added more ginger....

Yet as the name suggests the 'matcha and ginger' already contains the ginger so I actually just ended up with very a strong and spicy flavour. I tried to counteract this by adding spinach and extra water but nevertheless have a strong juice that whacks a punch to be quite honest (as long as you don't over dilute it)

Anyway to make this tart yet detoxifying juice you will need

  • 2-3 carrots
  • 1 pear 
  • juice of half a lemon (or you could do what I did and use a whole rather large lemon and then panic and put lots of ginger in to cover u your mistake)
  • 400ml water
  • 1 tsp matcha and ginger
  • a handful of spinach
  • 4-6 ice cubes

Add all your ingredients to blender ( I used a Vitamix) and whizz until smooth. I have not peeled my fruit and veg (besides the ginger) and therefore my juice is a bit 'bitty'













No comments:

Post a Comment