Monday 31 August 2015

The Bake Off

The Great British Bake Off is now in its sixth series and has quite literally taken over the world, well the UK at least as ‘bake off’ competitions are cropping up all over the country and the humble village of Birkenshaw was not one to miss out.

The Golden Fleece in Birkenshaw has recently been refurbished and since its reopening has placed itself firmly as ‘Birkenshaw’s favourite local.’  

This bank holiday weekend saw the first ever ‘Fleece Fest’ and welcomed over 60 types of beers, a hog roast, live music and even a BOUNCY CASTLE!!!  The village’s first ever Fleece Fest Bake Off was held on the bank holiday Monday and I of course had to take part.


The cake that my very good friend Emily and I made for the occasion was GBBO winner John Whaite’s Sherbet Lemon cake.
Herre I am with my mate John Whaite and his lovely shorts
The baked masterpiece combines the popular lemon sponge with zingy sherbet lemon filling and homemade mixed peel. Guys we made mixed peel! Surely that means points in our favour? 

Our contribution was the first cake on the bench as I (naturally) was the first to arrive and my hopes were high. I mean there was free meal at stake here. However my hopes were dashed somewhat when a cake with an actual sheep on top arrived a.k.a The Golden Fleece.


All proceeds of the Birkenshaw Bake Off went to the BVA (Birkenshaw Village Association) and indeed as well as the £1 entry fee, each slice of cake  was also sold off at the end of the competition.

There were three separate categories: cakes, cupcakes and children. however of the grand total of 6 entries (one being the kids’ so that won by default so there were technically only 5)  they were all cakes. Maybe I should of made cupcakes instead. 

To be honest things were getting a bit tense as I sat waiting patiently…ok not so patiently…for the judging to start and it did not help matters that the affair was late. 

Head Chef Ollie (from Hotel Chocolat no less) was to head the judging joined by the general manager. Apparently Ollie recognised me…maybe I've been to Roast and Conch a bit too much.



The first cake under scrutiny was the Homer Simpson Doughnut cake which though chocolatey didn't look all that appetising alas we didn't get to hear any feedback and I was eager to hear what the judges thought as my cake was up next. 

I was quite disappointed that they didn't try any of the peel.


Sophie's’ Cookies and Cream cake was a tribute it would seem to the popular Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream yet I never really got the hype about that and personally I feel that it lacks flavour. Something that can also be said about this cake (i tried some of it) Sorry Sophie

The Golden Fleece cake caused quite a commotion as the judges weren't sure how to cut it - eventually they went for the popular delicacy: mutton rump. As the cake had been called ‘Golden Fleece’ it wasn’t clear what type of cake it was and as we got no feedback from the judges i just had to guess. The sheep looked to be lemon whilst the base was a plain sponge decorated with coconut. 

The final cake to be tried was Chocolate and Strawberry. This yummy looking chocolate cake was topped with strawberries yet I’ll guess we’ll never know whether or not there was anymore strawberry involved.
Three men debating about cake - it doesn't get much more tense

I was gutted to find out that I had not even placed as third place was awarded to Charlotte’s Strawberries and Cream, Second place surprisingly went to Adele’s Golden Fleece which I had thought was sure to win. 

The Cookies and Cream cake by Sophie was declared the winner much to my shock and hence why I had to try some for myself. Suffice it to say that I did not agree with the judges verdict. 

Next week on the GBBO it is ‘Free From’ week, here the bakers will create gluten free/dairy free e.t.c  bakes. For some free from recipe ideas check out the baking tag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment