Sunday 26 April 2015

Ginger and Caramel Cookies

Inspired by the flavour combinations used by Northern Bloc, who you can find at Trinity Kitchen in Leeds until the 10th of May, today's baking delight combines the aromatic, tangy and silky flavours of ginger and caramel.

I based my recipe on this but you can probably tell that my recipe has made (just a few) adjustments.

Firstly you will need:

An oven at 180c
250g sugar
400g flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
225g butter
100g crystallised ginger
2 egg yolks
1 cup of cold water

If you look at the recipe that I have adapted from you will see that they have used 300g of sugar so why am I using less? The answer is because of the crystallised ginger, it is itself covered in sugar so I have taken some sugar away so that my cookies aren't too sweet.

First things first, dice the ginger, I haven't cut mine too small as I want to go for a chunky texture in my cookies.
 


In a saucepan heat the butter and sugar to create a caramel. Pour in the water gradually to stop the caramel from thickening too much. Leave to cool.

Once cool fold in the flour, baking powder and egg yolks. If,like me, your mixture is still looking a bit on the thin side this may be because your caramel has not thickened properly or you were too impatient and added the flour before the caramel had a chance to cool.


Fold in the prices of ginger before spooning onto baking tray. I tried to make the cookies on each tray  about the same size so that they would cook uniformly yet as you can imagine as I was running out of mixture so my last batch of cookies is smaller in size (but not in taste) than my first few batches.


Bake in the oven at 180 degrees c for 10-12 minutes (depending on size) or until they are golden. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack before enjoying with a nice cup of tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment