Monday 3 June 2013

Try, Try, Try Again



Further to yesterday’s post about the unforgiving nature of the job market I want to talk about how I have been trying to make myself more employable. I thought a great first step in this was to go get a degree but as I have found out that wasn’t really much help. Having a degree is the norm these days and few employers will even consider you if you haven’t got some letters to your name.

Secondly (here comes that magic word again) I tried to gain some experience in the working world. Yeah that was fun. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up in life even if that involves answering the phone and getting yelled at but there is nothing you can do because you are just the receptionist.
Another tactic that I have tried to make me more employable is to do a course that will broaden my skills. A wide variety of jobs out there are in web design and computing so I thought I know I’ll learn how to do that and then I can apply for those jobs. That was a mistake.

The online web design course that I’m trying to do is ‘Excel with Business’ and shall we just say that it isn’t going that well. The syllabus is divided in 18 different sections of which I have completed 7 and understood a grand total of zero. This my dear readers and friends has not been out of a lack of trying, I have read over the same PDF files maybe 5 times and I’m still none the wiser, I have tried all the practice sheets but as soon as they mentioned the difference between HTML and CSS I was completely and utterly lost. I have thought about just throwing in the towel and accepting the fact that web design is just one of those things that I cannot do (this list is getting quite long) but no I shall persevere even if it kills me.  As the well-known saying goes ‘if you at first do not succeed, try, try, try again’ and if that doesn't work sink your head into a pillow and scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment