Saturday 2 June 2018

Kayaking the Nordfjord

This morning I awoke surrounded by fjords in the little town of Olden and after disembarking the ship, spent the morning kayaking through the Nordfjord. If you ask me, this is one of the best ways to see the fjords with a 360-degree view of the absolutely stunning scenery. 


My arms were hurting by the end though, not to worry, I had a massage scheduled for the afternoon. At least I thought I did, but it wasn’t until I got down to the spa (on deck 5) that I noticed that I had the day wrong. I was able to change it though and my kayaking aches were soothed with hot stones. 



On the 17th May 1814, Norway became an independent state from Denmark and the date is now celebrated as Norway’s National Day. On this day, locals put on their traditional dress and parading through the streets. 



The parade at the quayside was a sight to behold with hundreds of thousands of Norwegian flags set against the backdrop of the huge union jack which is printed on the side of Britannia. 


The ship saluted the parade by sounding to the fog horn and the marching band replied in kind by paying ‘God Save The Queen.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment