Monday 4 July 2016

The tale of Andrew Duhon and Cullen Skink

This week I found myself back up in Scotland to see Andrew Duhon. 

The country folk singer from New Orleans makes a small UK tour every summer (well at for the past 4 or 5 years) and I was fortunate enough to catch him at Oakwell Festival last year. 


Upon hearing his melodic southern drawl I was instantly hooked and so would it seem was my mother for whom I bought his latest album and we have been listening to little else ever since. 

As I mentioned above Andrew Duhon takes a trip around the UK every summer and I would be lying if I said that I wasn't closely keeping an eye out on this years tour dates. 

The first dates released were for London on both the 21st and 22nd June.  However those dang train tickets were going to prove a bit too costly so that put those out of the race. 

Bother. 

I watched with bated breath as dates for Kent and Warwickshire came in….surely that meant that he was working his way up north?  Apparently I was right yet it appeared to be quite a jump up north as from Warwickshire Andrew Duhon went to the Ilse Of Mull. 

Really?!? 


Indeed there were to be three Scottish dates before he journeyed back down South via Suffolk and Portsmouth before journeying home. 

Great.


However this tale has a happy yet somewhat bizarre end as for the second time in so many weeks I found myself strapped in the car on the way to Scotland for a gig. Yup I'm just that cool.

The week actually started down in Dorset for my dear friends' Wedding. Congratulations again Jess and Daryl. I donned my tartan dress for a night of frivolity, cake, trifle and a whole lot of ceilidh dancing…..

After a quick pit stop at home we travelled all the way up north to our cottage in Scotland where we were to stay just one day before carrying on up to Aviemore. 

Aviemore  located on the edge of the Cairgorms in the highlands of Scotland is the home to many a mountaineer, cyclists and general outdoor enthusiast so you can imagine that I was a bit like a fish out of water. 

Nevertheless I had my trusty book with me. I was reading Starborn by Lucy Hounsom….it's the first book of a trilogy which normally I would be very excited about except I was in the middle of nowhere with no Waterstones in sight and I need the next book dammit! I finished reading [the book] the day after I started it so yes it really is that good. 

Anyway where was I?............

Upon looking to see where the were any good cafes around Aviemore I stumbled across the Rothiemurchus visitor centre and in particular the Druie restaurant and cafĂ©. 

 Reviews for the eatery were excellent and the Cullen Skink came highly recommended. I therefore didn't have much choice in the matter my decision was made for me. 

Cullen Skink (hahaha that name though) may  be more commonly known as a type of fish chowder and is traditionally made with mackerel and smoked haddock. Mine was served with dark soda bread and was totally scrumptious….better than the reviews. 



Indeed it was that good that I returned the next day for some more soup yet this time I opted for the soup of the day which was pea and mint with a cheese scone. 


Andrew Duhon was playing at the Old Bridge Inn just outside of Aviemore so I put my tartan frock on and ventured off to the pub bright and early so that we could get good seats. 


The main problem with concerts/gigs in pubs is that the people who aren't necessarily there for the music feel obliged to talk over it thus disturbing everyone else who has come for just  that reason…..and  nearly 300 miles at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment