Monday 21 March 2016

Berlin Take 2

Following a band round on their tour is no doubt on everybody’s bucket list….and if it isn’t…then it should be. I’m only actually going to two dates though so I’m not really sure if that counts. 

When I first visited Berlin back in 2012 when I was young and I innocent, I visited many of the tourist hot-spots such as the Brandenburger Tor and Checkpoint Charlie but now that I’m older and wiser (fat chance) I took it upon myself to tread off the beaten track and explore the lesser known areas of the city. 



We arrived in Berlin (and by we i mean my mother and myself) after a long and strenuous journey via Hamburg that comprised of five different varieties of transport. I was all but ready to collapse in the hotel room but the call of food was too great so we headed out along the Spree (that’s the name of the river in case you were wondering) in search of nourishment. 

On route back to the hotel  we walked along the ‘East Side Gallery’ or as it is better known the ‘Berlin Wall.’ What remains of the once dividing structure- and I was surprised to see just how much of it still stands- has been transformed into a gallery of street art and graffiti.  These thought provoking art works have a political undercurrent and were created during the months that followed the destruction of the wall.



The images offer messages of freedom and tolerance and just as relevant today as they ever were.

No comments:

Post a Comment