Wednesday 28 October 2015

October Favourites

Well what do you know, another month has gone past and it's time for me to share with you what I have been loving over the past month.

1. All the Bright Places -Jennifer Niven

This heartbreaking novel, published in January of this year looks at how mental illness affects people and those closest to them.  In essence it is a love story but add in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (Violet) and a suicidal Finch ( the boy is called Finch, it's not a bird who is suicidal) and you get a tale that is so much darker, gritty and explores a lot of themes that are widely skimmed over.



Violet and Finch first meet at the top of a bell tower where both of them are considering jumping. (off  that is, not in the air for joy) Later they become partners in a U.S. Geography project that requires them to explore their home state of Indiana. The they do and choose to go to many of the more obscure sights that the state has to offer. In this sense the book reminded me somewhat of John Green's book (now a major film) Paper Towns.

After the death of her sister Violet finds it difficult to adjust and it is ironically through Finch, a boy who wants to die that she learns what it is to live.

The story is split into a dual narrative which I think works well: offering insight into each of the characters points of view in the intricately woven  tale.

2. Tresemme Renewal Hair and Scalp 

As I have thick, curly and very unruly hair it is hugely important to find a good conditioner that will help me to tame the beast. Many conditioners, including many of those from leading haircare brands and have left me wanting so I was very happy to stumble across this one.


I suffer from a sensitive and sometimes painful scalp and find that this conditioner is not only soft and nourishing for my hair but also soothing for my scalp. Bonus points for smelling gorgeously fresh too!

3. Knitting

Knitting in the evenings for me is a good way of winding down after a busy day and is beneficial in releasing anxiety....well that is until it goes wrong.

I have been reaching for my knitting needles a lot recently as the Christmas present knit-a-thin has well and truly begun. Indeed I even knitted a camera for my photographer friend Ajay. Check out his photography work here.


Although I am still only a novice at knitting I intend on attending a 'Beyond The Basics' course next month so watch out people, you might have a sightly more fancy hat under the tree this year.

4. Vitamin C Instant Glow Enhancer

The newest addition to my collection of skincare is also a new addition to the Body Shop's Vitamin C range. Advertised for grumpy, tired and dull looking skin this part moisturiser part primer gives me a healthy looking glow with a fresh and rosy tint.

5. Butterscotch Selector

Hotel Chocolat are back in my favourites with their October flavour of the month: Butterscotch. The combination of thick buttery caramel in a 50% milk chocolate shell are scrumptiously rich and indulgent.






    No comments:

    Post a Comment