Friday 17 January 2014

Carrot cupcake fail


My adventures in baking have often led me to trying out substitutes to the traditional ingredients such as using different types of flours (einkorn,spelt, gluten free etc) or dates instead of butter. 

This time the main ingredient that I was replacing was sugar but seeing as I was replacing one thing I thought that I might as well go the whole hog so my dear readers I present to you; 

Sugar free, gluten free, saturated-fat free carrot and pecan cupcakes. 

Well they would have been if I hadn't had the urge to ice them. 

The recipe I used can be found here. Only I used wheat free flour instead of almond.
http://eatthecookie.wordpress.com/2012/02/19/carrot-cake-cupcakes/

My mother made a stir fry last week (bare with me this story does relate) and instead of using rice like normal people would she decided that it would be far more nutritional to use shredded cauliflower. Alas (and I have no idea why...) a lot of this cauliflower did not get eaten so it was banished to the depths of the fridge. 

There it lay slowly festering and seeping into the other foods and quite frankly stinking to high heaven. Remember this little tale because we shall be deviating it in a few paragraphs time.  

For the icing I made a simple cream cheese butter icing using golden icing sugar. The golden sugar in this icing gives off a slightly caramel flavour and your icing will be lightly golden. 

I first mixed the icing sugar in with melted butter to make a smooth butter icing before adding a table spoonful of cream cheese -  does something smell a bit funky to you? 

 As it turned out the cream cheese had fallen victim to the great cauliflower invasion  yet I didn't realise that this was the case until  after I had already decorated the cupcakes. 

Anyone for a carrot cupcake with cauliflower icing? 


No comments:

Post a Comment