Saturday 30 March 2013

The gummy fail





I stumbled across a recipe for homemade gummy bears and I if I were to say that this didn’t tickle my pickle I would lying (eww guys that’s gross). The recipe that I (tried) to follow can be seen here: http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/post/42764785751

I tried to follow the recipe but I had no lime juice or orange juice or mangosteen juice or stevia on the raw or even most of the fruits that were used. So I improvised….recipes are for wimps anyway. Famous last words

Hence the use of guava juice, apricots and even a little bit of grenadine and the new flavours of gummy bears were born: Apricot, Orange and Banana and Very Berry. 


Another a really large, gaping problem was that I did not have a bear moulds,  a bear shaped cutter  or even any cutter small enough so even this had to be improvised upon. I did however have a selection of farmyard animal moulds so the ‘bears’ now turned into gummy animals of some description (and hearts). 

Although the gummy things will turn out rather larger than what I been hoping for, they are going to be more like jelly babies than gummy bears. Oh well, In the words of Beyonce: ‘ I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly. 

Alas what I had been hoping for did not happen as when I put the  gummy in the moulds it did not come out.


When heavily greased the shapes did come out but.... this one was supposed to be a duck


Basically the only thing I have been able to achieve this morning is a big ball of goo. It's like Flubber except for the fact that it doesn't bounce or dance or even play the maracas 


After a lot of patience and a whole lot more trial and error I was finally able to create at least some gummy things out of the apricot, orange and banana batch (although I realised soon after it had set that this flavour was not all that pleasant)

It did however require me to grease each little mould before using it every single time. I also learnt that moulds with anything fiddly were a no no so little lambs, bunnies, chicks and anything else vaguely Easter related were out of the question. Gummy blobs are therefore the dish of the day.

The very berry gummy/jelly has still not set (4 hours later) this is probably due to the fact that this batch has a lot more liquid in the mixture than the last one, although I did boil this batch for longer. So I will just have to sit tight and wait to be able to fail all over again. In the meantime I'm making raspberry shortbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment